Thursday, August 5, 2010

I meant Sporting Goods!

You really gotta watch what you type into your address bar.

I was on the phone for an hour with my satellite internet company (that’s a whole ‘nother post), trying to improve my connectivity, which has been yucky since inception. Because I live in lovely rural Carroll County, there are two options for internet: satellite or dial-up. I have satellite, however, my satellite is so bad, sometimes I think it is dial-up.

So, after fiddling with a bunch of stuff in my system tools with the Indian Customer Service guy on the phone, who, no doubt, is actually in India, I was instructed to “attempt to browse normally now.” So, I began to type different web addresses into my bar, to check out my web responsiveness. I thought it best to type in addresses I don’t normally go to, because I wanted it to load sites without the benefit of cookies. (Listen to me talking all techy, as if I know what I’m saying!)

Into my address box I typed the probable names of any store that popped into my head: LL Bean, Sears, Sports Authority, Target, Dicks...

Apparently, the address for Dicks Sporting Goods is NOT www. dicks (dot)com. I’m talking to a guy in India and my screen is popping up a half-dozen pictures that are definitely not selling sports equipment, although some of those girls looked pretty athletic. I scrambled about, frantically closing windows wondering, nay, praying silently that the rep on the phone is not tapped in to my system and seeing what pops up on my screen! (I’m still not sure about that.) I tried to act like nothing astonishing just happened on my end and re-typed the respectable, banal address for Sears.

Be careful, friends. Be very careful out there!

6 comments:

Rachael said...

I've done that before, didn't turn out well...

Danielle said...

:D I was sure I couldn't be the only one!

Anonymous said...

Funny you mention the sears site as being safe. I've had two different homeschool groups sending out boycott notices this week because sears actually has a lot of nude, x rated content for sale on their site. You can find it if you search for nude (imagine if you are searching for a nude colored something and only get the color typed in when you accidentally press enter) . Dianne

Danielle said...

Well, I'll be darned, people. Dianne is right.

hornblower said...

I thought your post was hilarious.

Then I went to the sears site & check out their nudes. I LOVE 'em! I totally want the Six Nude Dancers! If only sears.ca had them.... :-(

Danielle said...

Ha, ha, hornblower! Actually, I found that they sell some sort of crotchless panty-hose, modeled on the back view of a nude woman. Softer side of Sears indeed!